Skip to main content

Building work or home improvements can be expensive and if the work done is defective in any way, then it can also be very complicated and frustrating to deal with.

It can also disrupt your life, especially if you work full time – you’ll need to take time off to deal with repairs, etc.

Have you had problems with building work, decorating or home improvements? Here are some things you should know:

  • If you have received faulty workmanship it is important to know that you are protected by law and you are entitled to ask for the faults to be fixed or even get your money back.
  • The Supply of Goods and Services Act states that all service providers have a duty to perform their work with reasonable care and skill.
  • When you made an agreement with the trader, you technically made a contract – even if it wasn’t written down. However, it is a good idea to get a written agreement of what work will be carried out and how much it will cost.
  • It is always a good idea to keep paperwork and receipts, to take photos of the evidence, to make notes of what happened with dates and times and to save any emails or letters you send or received from the work provider.

What to do if you have received faulty workmanship:

If the service provider has made an error or performed any service poorly then they most likely have broken their contract with you.  If the contract is broken then you will be entitled a refund, or the costs of correcting the faults.

Whatever the problem is, you have the right to ask the supplier of the service to fix the fault – this should be your first step. Make sure to agree a reasonable time frame for any service and make sure it is in writing.

If the deadline you arranged passes or the provider has not fixed the problem, give them one final deadline for doing the work. If possible, make it clear in writing that if they fail to meet the deadline you will have to get someone else to fix it and that they will need to pay the cost.

Get a second opinion and a quote from an independent builder and let the trader know how much you will be claiming if they don’t fix the problem.

Lastly, if your problem still hasn’t been resolved your next step is to contact DMA Law. Here at DMA Law we have been helping people settle disputes for more than 30 years. We can help in all types of disputes, including contract disputes, faulty workmanship and consumer disputes.