When you’re purchasing a residential property, it can be a very varied process. Circumstances can arise which make the process very different to a ‘typical’ purchase.
However, we think it would be helpful to provide you with an outline of a typical process of purchasing as a guide.
Remember, if your property purchase strays from the ‘norm’, then any good conveyancing solicitor will be able to help you navigate what can be a confusing, daunting and sometimes stressful process.
Here is the process we would go through:
- We take your initial instructions and provide you with initial advice
- We carry out initial checks and contact your lender, seller’s solicitor and estate agent if needed
- We receive contract documents from the seller’s solicitor and advise you on the terms
- We carry out compulsory searches and any additional searches you require (the results are usually returned within two weeks)
- We obtain further documentation if required from the seller’s solicitor, local authority or in some cases landlord/management company or another third party
- We raise any necessary enquiries of seller’s solicitor
- We advise you on all documents and information received and explain any outstanding matters
- We explain the conditions of mortgage offer including any specific requirements
- We send the final contract and other documents to you for signature or we arrange an appointment for you to attend and sign with us at one of our offices
- We agree a completion date with you, your seller and your mortgage lender (this is the date from which you own the property) and advise on the steps to be taken by you before and on the day of completion
- We exchange contracts (legally committing you to the purchase) and notify you that this has happened
- We arrange for all monies needed to be received from your mortgage lender and you
- We complete the purchase and you receive the keys
- We deal with payment of Stamp Duty Land Tax and submit a return with HM Revenue and Customs on your behalf
- We seal with the application for registration at HM Land Registry
For more details of our conveyancing prices please see here.
We know that buying a house can be one of the most stressful experiences people can go through. Our conveyancing team is ready and able to help you with all aspects of residential conveyancing including:
- Re-mortgages & additional mortgages
- Property transfers
- New build purchases
- Right to Buy purchases
- Lost title deeds
For an informal talk please fill in the contact box on our website or call your local branch.